As you prepare for the High Holidays, our Rabbinical Assembly is committed to offering a variety of options for accessing our Mahzor Lev Shalem so you can choose what works best for your community. We are offering a special extended discount on this publication, as well as options for digital purchase and licensing. Additionally, we have provided resources and information on keeping your books safe and clean. We hope the below options provide peace of mind during this uncertain time.
- We are extending the RA/USCJ discount to all purchasers of Mahzor Lev Shalem, making the price $29.40. Some members of your community may wish to order copies for themselves; in other cases, synagogues may wish to coordinate bulk orders on behalf of their members to save on shipping. To guarantee delivery in time for the High Holidays, please place bulk orders by August 20 at rabbinicalassembly.org/books. (If you are located outside the continental United States, contact email@example.com for shipping information and timelines.)
The digital edition of Mahzor Lev Shalem is now available! To license the digital edition for your synagogue or community, please fill out this form. Once you have licensed the digital mahzor, we will send you a link within 3 days that you can share with your congregation to access Mahzor Lev Shalem via the Issuu digital publishing platform, available on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. To allow adequate time for processing and user support, please request your license for the digital mahzor no later than Friday, September 4.
Custom digital mahzor: For an additional charge, you can customize the digital mahzor for your community. Select just the pages you plan to use in your virtual service, for a seamless high holiday experience. You can also create a custom cover page featuring your congregation's logo or another meaningful image, such as your synagogue's sanctuary or a treasured work of art. To request a custom mahzor, just select that option in the digital mahzor form and we will follow up to obtain your customization details. Please submit requests for the custom digital mahzor no later than Thursday, August 20 (Rosh Hodesh Elul).
The digital edition of Mahzor Lev Shalem is also available to purchase on Issuu.com. Through July 31, we're offering the mahzor at a special price of $5.99 USD. Starting August 1, the mahzor will be available for $8.99 USD.
Questions? See our FAQ on the digital mahzor for more information.
Resources for safer book handling
Some of you are exploring plans to distribute print mahzorim to your members, and have reached out to request guidance on safe book handling. Although we are not qualified to make specific safety recommendations, we are happy to share some resources from our friends in the world of libraries and archives:
- "Disinfecting Books and Other Collections:" This fact sheet from the Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC) recommends a 7-day quarantine of library items after handling by staff and patrons. The use of topical disinfectants or UV light is NOT recommended.
- The NEDCC recommends that staff moving books into quarantine wear face masks, avoid touching their faces, and follow handwashing protocols. Washing with soap and water is preferable to hand sanitizer because hand sanitizer can stain paper (though this is probably a larger concern for librarians handling archival materials).
- The covers of Mahzor Lev Shalem and Siddur Lev Shalem are made from recycled plastic. The surface of the binding can be wiped clean with a mild soapy solution, but it should be dried immediately, as the binding boards are subject to warping. No liquid should be allowed to touch the paper, including the inside of the binding, which is laminated with paper.
- There is also a working group that plans to offer COVID-specific information on handling books and other materials by the end of August. You can read more, and sign up to receive updates, here.