During the past two decades, the RA has passed numerous resolutions on a wide variety of environmental issues. These resolutions have called upon RA colleagues to take action both at the national (and at times global) and at local levels. Some of those resolutions follow below:
2013: Resolution on Climate Change
2012: Resolution on Hydraulic Fracturing in the United States
2009: Resolution Supporting Environmental Concerns in Israel
2008: Resolution on the Environment: Green Covenant
2007: Resolution on the Environment
2005: Resolution on Global Warming and Endangered Species
2003: Resolution on the Environment and Human Health
2001: Resolution on Energy and the Environment
These resolutions have led to RA action on a number of levels.
- At the national level, the RA has called for:
- Members to adopt the Green Covenant, a pledge to reduce member institutions’ carbon footprint;
- Passage of domestic legislation that would promote environmental health such as enhancing clean air standards, reducing toxic waste, regulating hazardous materials, strengthening emissions and CAFE (fuel economy) standards, protecting endangered species, and testing products for compliance with environmental regulations before they are brought to market;
- Growing, producing and manufacturing food and food products in a way that protects the earth;
- Combating global warming; and
- Investing in companies that practice environmentally-friendly and socially-responsible practices
- At the local level, the RA has called for individual homeowners, synagogues, and other institutions to:
- Use consumables that are both recycled and recyclable;
- Conduct energy audits;
- Reduce waste;
- Purchase energy from sustainable sources;
- Use non-toxic cleaning, lawn, and garden care products;
- On May 11-12, 2009, the RA participated in the first ever Sustainability Conference sponsored by the Jewish community. Hosted by COEJL, Jewish groups from across the denominational spectrum participated in this conference. The Conservative Movement (represented by various arms) presented a well thought-out and comprehensive plan for sustainability in our institutions.
- In addition, in 2009, the RA passed a resolution supporting environmental efforts in Israel.