This past Tuesday, JTS confered honorary doctorates on the 41 RA Members listed below who have served in the rabbinate for 25 years or more. Gilah Dror, RA President, delivered greetings, and Jack Moline, RA Director of Public Policy, spoke on behalf of the honorees. Chancellor Eisen confered the degrees and delivered the convocation address (the text of which we will post in the coming week). See the official JTS press release for more details about the event.
Over the past year the Rabbinical Assembly has continued to expand and improve the services we provide. Our recent work has included:
- Conveying Conservative Jewish interests to top US and Israeli leaders
- Providing member support and services
- Networking with other faith and nonprofit organizations
- Increasing our roster of programs promoting professional growth and development.
Take a look at the RA’s year in review information below to get a sense of what we’ve been up to and learn how you can use RA resources.
Rabbinical Assembly 2013 Year in Review
- Julie Schonfeld spoke at the Inaugural Prayer Service for President Barack Obama at the National Cathedral (Watch: Julie Schonfeld | Full Service)
- AIPAC Special Briefing for 150 RA Members at Policy Conference with Rep. Ted Deutch
- Julie Schonfeld participated in national leadership meeting with President Obama before his trip to Israel
- Conference call for rabbis with Ambassador Michael Oren to discuss President Obama’s upcoming visit to Israel
- RA and Jewish Lights Publishing Announced New Joint Publishing Imprint (statement)
- Aviv Press Books Made Available as E-Books
- Rabbinical Assembly Community Health: RA launched Health Insurance Plan for all individuals associated with the Conservative Movement (including congregants and other constituents)
- RA Took Meaningful Action to End Gun Violence
- Remarks by Rabbi Julie Schonfeld at National Cathedral Gun Violence Vigil
- Statement: RA Supports Obama Administration’s Efforts to Curb Gun Violence
- Julie Schonfeld participated in national leadership meeting on gun violence with Vice President Biden
- RA Retired Rabbis Association annual Kallah in Miami Beach
- RA Raises Concerns about New Arrests at Western Wall (statement)
- Rabbinic Call on Immigration Reform (Recording)
- Julie Schonfeld, Alvin Berkun, Jeff Wohlberg, Joel Meyers, and Noam Marans met with Pope Francis
- 29 New Rabbis welcomed into the Rabbinical Assembly
- Convention 2013, Jerusalem, Israel
- Reception at the home of President Shimon Peres
- Knesset Day including meetings with Yuli Edelstein, Naftali Bennett, and 8 other MKs
- Maslulim included options to visit to base of Shaked battalion of Givati Brigade, lunch on Army Base, visit to Sderot Reservoir water reclamation Project and Be'er Sheva River Park, Haredi employment center, and a visit to Google Headquarters in Tel Aviv
- Julie Schonfeld and White House Faith Based leaders presented recommendations to White House on Ending Modern Slavery (Read the Recommendations | Read the Executive Summary)
- Task force launched to end modern day slavery. Lee Paskind and Chuck Feinberg, members of the task force, spearheaded the creation of resource materials for rabbis.
- Rabbinic Management Institute: A year of learning and case study comprised of on-site seminars, mentorship and distance learning, rabbis engage in deep, applied, educational and professional development in the following areas:
- Nonprofit Management and Leadership
- Fund Development
- Accounting and Budgeting
- Strategic Planning and Program Evaluation
- Julie Schonfeld participated in Jewish leadership meeting with former Israeli National Security Advisor Yaakov Amidror
- RA Condemns Senate’s Failure to Pass Stricter Background Checks Legislation (statement)
- Elliot Schoenberg and Bill Lebeau represented RA at Jewish Welfare Board (ongoing)
- RA Celebrates Supreme Court’s Ruling on Gay Marriage (statement)
- RA Shocked and Saddened by Clashes at Western Wall (statement)
- Beit Midrash in the Hills
- RA Saddened by Death of Senator Lautenberg (statement)
- RA Congratulates Susan Rice on her Appointment to National Security Advisor (statement)
- RA Praises Religious Affairs Ministry, Calls for Immediate Implementation of Local Religious Leadership by Israeli Communities (statement)
- Virtual Resolutions Process introduced (Text of approved resolutions)
- President Obama’s High Holy Days call with rabbis
- Julie Schonfeld participated in White House Briefing on Peace Process with Secretary of State John Kerry and the President's National Security Advisor Ambassador Susan Rice
- Rabbis’ call with Ambassador Michael Oren
- Julie Schonfeld a featured speaker at interfaith service commemorating 50th anniversary of March on Washington (Read the Remarks)
- Gerry Skolnik visited Seminario Rabinico Latinoamericano and participates in Latin American Rabbinic Kallah (2nd trip; 1st trip August 2012)
- Reform, Conservative Jewish Organizational Leaders Visit Pollard in Federal Prison (statement)
- RA Welcomes Announcement about Resumed Middle East Peace Talks (statement)
- A Conversation with Brigadier General Amira Dotan
The following timeline was put together by the Masorti Movement in Israel:
Since 1980, Egalitarian Masorti/Conservative minyanim have gathered and davenned without interruption in the upper Kotel plaza (on the edge of the public area) several times each year, primarily Tishah B’Av and Shavuot.
Are members of your community eager to assist, either with home hospitality, legal/insurance expertise, or just general assistance?
We've created this template in order to simplify the process of collecting information about members of your community who may be able to help others.
How to use the template:
- Log into Google Drive
- Access our template
- Click on "Use this Template"
- Distribute the form to your community by clicking share, email, or embed
Additional information about Google Forms is available here.
In taking the Food Stamp Challenge, you will personally experience the challenges of hunger in the United States – challenges that the 1 in 7 Americans who use food stamps, including nearly 25% a quarter of all American children, face daily. This is a time for education and understanding; a time to say “enough.” When you take the Food Stamp Challenge, you will join hundreds of others across the country, including religious leaders, elected officials, celebrities, and other concerned community activists, to build the public and political will to end hunger in the United States.
We have prepared materials to help you keep track of your experience:
We are proud to join in partnership with the CA, USCJ, Mazon: A Jewish Response to Hunger, JCPA, the RAC, and the RRA in sponsoring the Food Stamp Challenge.