As people across the globe take a stand against racism and police brutality, we are providing information and resources to support you and your community in important discussions about race. This list of resources will be updated regularly. Please contact our communications specialist, Diana Denza, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to submit a resource to the list.
Rabbinical Assembly Resolutions:
Our colleagues speak out on the murder of George Floyd z’l and police reform
- Julia Appel: My fellow white Jews: We can't sit this one out.
- Michael Beals at meeting hosted by Joe Biden held at at Bethel AME Church in Wilmington, Delaware
- Shai Held: Finding Hope in a Hopeless America
- Aaron Weininger: I am a rabbi who attended George Floyd’s memorial service. This is what I witnessed.
- Avi Olitzky: Why I, a Minneapolis Rabbi, Changed My Mind About ‘Black Lives Matter’
- Jason Rubenstein: In Jewish Tradition, Racism is a Sin
- Eric Ward: Authoritarian State or Inclusive Democracy? 21 Things We Can Do Right Now
- Aryeh Cohen: Defunding the Police Means Reclaiming Safety
- Aryeh Cohen: While People Must Learn Nonviolence Before We Demand It of Others
- Neil F. Blumofe: Witness on Wheels - A Pastor and a Rabbi Travel in a Journey of Discovery
- Eric Woodward: I'm a mixed race Jew who presents as white. Jessica Krug's story reawakened my imposter syndrome.
- Susan Grossman: How We Wronged Our Brother: A Sermon for Parshat Naso 2020, in Memory of George Floyd
- Ilana Garber: Just Beyond Yourself
- Stuart Weinblatt: One Rabbi's Take on the George Floyd Death and the Civil Unrest Rocking our Nation
- Bradley Artson: Justice We Shall Pursue: Building the Beloved Community
- David Booth: Antisemitism and Black Lives Matter
- Neil Blumofe: A Juneteenth Conversation with Congregation Agudas Achim
- Aryeh Cohen: Justice We Shall Pursue - Understanding What "Defund the Police" Means
Anti-Racism Resources via JOYCE.org
- Mapping Police Violence
- Racial Equity Tools
- Black Visions Collective
- Color of Change
- Campaign Zero
- Black Women Radicals and the Asian American Solidarities Reading List
- Anti-Racism Resources for White People
- Black Lives Matter Resources for Allyship
From Leadership Conference for Civil and Human Rights
- New Era of Public Safety: A Guide to Fair, Safe, and Effective Community Policing
- New Era of Public Safety: An Advocacy Toolkit for Fair, Safe, and Effective Community Policing
From Public Broadcasting Service
- What to read, listen to and watch to learn about institutional racism
- WATCH: ‘Race Matters: America in Crisis,’ a PBS NewsHour Special
- WATCH: Policing the Police 2020
- JTS Hendel Center for Ethics and Justice presents "Racial Diversity and Inclusiveness Within the Jewish Community: Past, Present and (Charting a) Future" with Rabbi Sandra Lawson and Dr. Eric L. Goldstein.
JCPA's Delegates Assembly Educational Session on Policing
As a follow-up to the meeting, JCPA is sharing the following materials with you:
- Ending Systemic Racism in Policing
- Understanding Policing and Where We Go From Here
- Redefining Public Safety: What Communities Need to Succeed
- JCPA's Resources for Understanding Police Reform 101.
- Dr. Alex Vitale's Washington Post article, “Five myths about policing,” and his recent NPR interview. For more in-depth reading, we recommend his book, The End of Policing.
- Dr. Robert Brown recommended Police for the Future by David Bayley.
- "'We can be a model.’ Newark shifts money to turn police precinct into social services HQ," an article shared by Aqeela Sherrills.
- JCPA's Priority Principles for Federal Legislation on Policing.
- JCPA’s Restorative and Rehabilitative Justice Resolution, passed in February 2020.